The PSA's Annual Awards are among the most prestigious honors available to poets. They offer emerging and established poets recognition at all stages of their careers, including our student poetry award and book awards for publishers.
Student Poetry Award
Awarded for the best unpublished poem by a student in grades 9 through 12 from the United States.
Endowed under the wills of Louise Louis Whitbread and Ruth M. Bourne.
October 1-December 31, 2023
(11:59 PM EST)
Online EntrySubmit Entry
Submission Details & Instructions
- You can only submit one entry per student.
- Teachers or administrators may submit an unlimited number of their students' poems, one submission per student.
- A poem that has previously won a PSA Award cannot be re-submitted.
- No previously published work can be submitted.
- Translations are ineligible.
- Poems by more than one author will not be accepted.
- All entries must be sent though Submittable.
- Submissions from Poetry Society employees, officers, advisory board committee members, or their immediate families are ineligible.
- All submissions are judged anonymously.
High school students may send single entries to the Louise Louis/Emily F. Bourne Student Poetry Award for the fee of $5.
High school teachers or administrators may submit an unlimited number of their students' poems (one submission per student) for a $20 entry fee.
You do not need to be a member of the Poetry Society of America to submit to this award.
The winners will be announced in late spring.
About the Judge
Elisa M. Gonzalez is a poet, essayist, and fiction writer. Her work appears in the New Yorker, New York Times Magazine, Paris Review, and elsewhere. A graduate of Yale University and the New York University M.F.A. program, she has received fellowships from the Norman Mailer Center, Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, Rolex Foundation, and the U.S. Fulbright Program. She is the recipient of a 2020 Rona Jaffe Foundation Writer’s Award. Her debut poetry collection is Grand Tour.